The standard cookie policy for this website is to allow all cookies. This helps to ensure you have the optimal experience. If you would like to continue with our optimal website experience, you don't need to make any changes. If you would like to learn more about what cookies are and how we use them, visit our cookie policy page.

Overseas Qualifications


DfE offers an overseas qualification service for candidates.  You can call them via the 'Get into Teaching' helpline: 0800 389 2500. They can provide:

  • an initial verbal check before you apply to advise candidates on what their qualifications are equivalent to (this service is guidance only);
  • a written UK ENIC statement of comparability, paid for by DfE, if the candidate requires one (available only to candidates who have already applied for teacher training).

The initial verbal check is often confirmed to candidates by email, but it has no official standing. It is simply to help candidates assess likely equivalency of qualifications before they apply.  Sometimes the statement could confirm that the exam you took in maths in another country is equivalent to a GCSE exam, without also considering the score.  We may then also need to see your score for maths to determine if its equivalent to a 'C'. We cannot use a score sheet where the grades for all subjects are merged into one.

The final decision on eligibility still lies with our partner university and where there is some debate over equivalency, they may still require the formal ENIC certificate.  We will liaise with you about this.


After you have applied for teacher training, our partner university may be able to help establish the equivalency of your degree and Maths, English & Science GCSE-type qualifications by themselves. They will prioritise such advice for actual applicants, rather than general enquirers.

When you have applied, please email scans of your degree and transcript to the university accrediting the course,

copying in WLTTA, Pippa Currey

The university will need to establish whether your degree is equivalent to a UK Honours degree (as opposed to an Ordinary degree) and also the level (grade) you achieved in UK terms.  They might be able to do this without an ENIC certificate (see below) but if you have one, include it in the email as this will speed up the process.  If the university respond to say that they need an ENIC certificate and you have not yet applied for one, then it would be sensible to use the DfE helpline above because then they will be able to pay for the ENIC certificate (which otherwise costs approx. £50 +VAT).

We know already that English Language qualifications taken in countries where English is not the first language, will not be equivalent to the UK English Language GCSE. You will need to take an equivalency test in English but you do not have to do this before you apply. See our separate tab about equivalency tests.

In many countries, exams taken in maths and science could well be considered equivalent to a UK GCSE but it very much depends on your score.  For example, simply showing an International Baccalaureate certificate is not enough.  We would need the transcript to see the score.  If your qualification was not deemed by the university to be equivalent, then you would need to take an equivalency test. Please see our separate tab about equivalency tests.

If you need to take two equivalency tests, this may be quite a burden -please speak to us for advice.


ENIC is the UK National Information Centre for the recognition and evaluation of international qualifications and skills.  You can always contact ENIC directly whether before or after you apply, if you are happy to pay for the certificate yourself.